Monday, June 8, 2015

Resume Tips and Commonly Asked Questions!

Resume Tips and Commonly Asked Questions!
Why in the world did Boomsa do that to my resume?????
Here are a couple things that are good to know, coming from someone who has written tens of thousands of resumes and is a recruiter full time (and has hired over 12,115 employees as of June 2015!!!)

  1. 1.       The template/format you received, works – MIRACLES.  Do NOT create a PDF document out of this either – some older applicant tracking systems cannot parse or upload PDF files and coming from a recruiter, we hate getting them – some hiring managers we send your information to don’t even have Adobe installed to view it.  You are better off sticking with Word.
  2. 2.       Do not get this resume “designed”.  You now have very solid content in a format that parses perfectly.  Resumes with 2 columns and super fancy pictures can be viewed as trying to overcompensate for experience – it’s better to have solid content.
  3. 3.       Why isn’t my resume only one page? Aren’t those better?  NO, NO, NO!!! Maybe 15 years ago when applicants had to fax in resumes and the 2nd page got lost; but not now – showcase your skills and it’s hard to do this with only a page (this is in about 90% of cases, some professions can use 1 page resumes, or newer graduates)
  4. 4.       Why don’t you include a header/footer?  Because not all HR systems can parse personal information into them, and it looks better without your personal information in that type of format
  5. 5.       Location…  I live in a HUGE city, and recruit for a HUGE company who has many different locations.  If I see someone applying to my location but lives 30 miles away, I will pass.  What you can do on your resume is not list your zip code and just list the city, state J to get past this, if you don’t mind the commute!  So, if you are in a big city, leave off your physical address and just list the City, State and NO zip code J
  6. 6.       Resumes are not a list of duties/tasks, but a list of accomplishments!  This is why you see me adding things to your bullets – show how what you did helped the company!
  7. 7.       Why the volunteer work?  Why the activities/interests?  I want to know someone I am going to hire is human.  I LOVE animals, so when I see SPCA, own 2 golden retrievers, love cats, etc. – they have reeled me in and I’ll probably set them up with one of our Directors for an interview if I like them over the phone.  I work for one Director who absolutely LOVES Disney.  I had a (non-qualified) candidate who wrote that she volunteered at Disney one summer – she got the interview, and the job!!!
  8. 8.       Isn’t my resume too much – do I seem too good or is it just over the top?  NO!  You have to brag on a resume. 
  9. 9.       Read the interview tips I sent as well, they work! 


No comments:

Post a Comment